Roasted Asparagus with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas from The PlantPure Nation Cookbook
This summer dish is a delicious combination of vegetables. I love to serve it over a bed of mixed greens and make it a dinner salad.
Makes 4 servings
2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks
12 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread the potatoes on one of the prepared baking sheets and bake until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, toss the asparagus and onion with the garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl until well coated.
- On a separate prepared baking sheet, spread the asparagus mixture evenly and bake until the asparagus is tender yet still crisp, about 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from the oven.
- Place the potatoes, asparagus, and chickpeas into a large serving bowl. Pour the balsamic dressing over the mixture and stir gently to combine. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Leek Pie from The China Study Cookbook
Makes 6 servings
For the crust:
2 medium potatoes, grated
6 ounces silken tofu
1/4 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons almond meal
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the filling:
2 tablespoons vegetable broth
3 medium leeks, chopped (about 4 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons white wine
6 ounces silken tofu, drained and crumbled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 teaspoon tarragon, dried
1 tablespoon thyme, dried
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (avoid the kind packed in oil)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 can of chopped black olives (optional)
- For the crust, preheat oven to 350°F. Wash and grate potatoes. Squeeze grated potatoes and drain moisture from them. Stir in tofu, milk, nutritional yeast, almond meal, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Spread and pat potatoes into nonstick pie plate.
- Bake the potato crust until golden brown (around 20–25 minutes). Remove from the oven.
- For the filling, sauté leeks and garlic in vegetable broth over medium-high heat, until leeks are tender. Add wine and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tofu, lemon juice, salt, bread crumbs, tarragon, thyme, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, soy milk, and olives, if using. Gently fold in the leeks.
- Spoon filling into crust and bake for 30–35 minutes.
Tip: Wash leeks thoroughly, as they tend to be sandy inside.
More from LeAnne: Website
Asparagus with Vegan Hollandaise Sauce from The China Study All-Star Collection
Asparagus is one of the first crops of spring. Paired with rich-tasting vegan “hollandaise” sauce, it makes the perfect vegetable side dish for any special meal.
Makes 4-6 servings
1 large bunch asparagus, trimmed
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
8 ounces soft silken or regular tofu, drained
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fit a steamer basket into a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add 2 inches of cold water, then add the asparagus. Cover and bring to a boil. Steam the asparagus for 4–6 minutes or just until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, put the lemon juice, tofu, turmeric, and salt in a blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until heated through.
- Arrange the hot asparagus on a serving platter and pour the sauce over top. Serve immediately.
More from LeAnne: Website