From Ashley: This salad might sound fussy and frou-frou, but it’s surprisingly humble and hearty. Nutrient-packed raw buckwheat groats are cooked until tender and tossed in a bright, lemony vinaigrette. Green apples, peppery greens, cranberries, and pepitas are folded in to balance sweet and savory notes, and the final touch is a garnish of creamy avocado. Each ingredient offers a punch of vitamins and minerals, resulting in a salad that lends both good vibes and a boost of energy.
Serves: 4-6 | Prep Time: 30 minutes or less
Buckwheat Salad Ingredients
1 cup raw buckwheat groats
2 cups water
1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
2 cups baby arugula, watercress, or other peppery green, leaves and tender stems only
1/3–1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raw pepitas
Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
3–5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided (juice of about 2 lemons)
2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
1–2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
Directions for the Buckwheat Salad
1. Add the buckwheat groats to a fine-mesh strainer and thoroughly rinse with cold water.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed buckwheat and water.
3. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Strain and rinse with cold water until the water runs clear.
5. Transfer the cooked buckwheat to a large nonreactive (i.e., nonmetallic) serving bowl along with the apple, greens, cranberries, and pepitas.
Directions for the Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, garlic (if using), sea salt, and black pepper to taste.
1. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat. If desired, add the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the salad to brighten the flavors, and liberally season with sea salt and black pepper.
Divide among plates and top with the sliced avocado.
Buckwheat, Green Apple, Cranberry + Avocado Salad recipe? Learn more about Blissful Basil and order your copy!