Total Time: 1 hour | Active Time: 20 minutes | Makes: 10–12 bars
For a short time after college I lived in Portland, Oregon. (I may or may not have moved there because of the abundance of vegan restaurants and farmer’s markets.) One of my favorite things about living there (other than simply eating) was going to pick-your-own-berries farms on Sauvie Island. I still dream about those gorgeous berries. If there’s anything better than freshly picked blueberries, it’s this blueberry dessert.
2 cups spelt flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
1/4 cup nondairy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish.
- To prepare the crumble, whisk the dry crumble ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir the wet crumble ingredients together. Add the contents of the small bowl to the large bowl, and stir until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, stir the blueberry filling ingredients together.
- Use your hands to press about three-quarters of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the blueberry filling on top and spread out evenly. Use your hands to break up the remaining crumble mixture and sprinkle it over the blueberry layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is crisp and bubbly. Let cool completely before slicing into bars, then serve or store in an airtight container.