If I had to pick a favorite kind of muffin, I think blueberry muffins would be it for me. With their hint of lemon, these muffins make me think of sunny, relaxed mornings. I also love that they’re made with vegan yogurt (a boost of protein!) and very little sugar.
2 c white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ c raw sugar
1 ripe (spotted) banana
½ c vanilla nondairy milk, divided
6 oz vegan yogurt (plain, vanilla, or blueberry)
¼ c unsweetened applesauce
1 c blueberries (thawed, if using frozen)
3–4 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line muffin tin with paper or silicone cups or use a nonstick pan, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a small food processor or blender, whiz banana with 1⁄4 cup nondairy milk until silky smooth.
- Stir into flour mixture, then add yogurt, applesauce, and remaining nondairy milk. Stir a few times, add blueberries and lemon zest, and stir gently, folding in blueberries, until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake 15–20 minutes or until muffins are golden, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.