From Ilene: Bursting with zucchini and sweet corn and smothered in fresh basil aioli, these fritters are the epitome of an easy summer appetizer. I’ll often make them into a full meal by serving them alongside Watermelon & Tofu Feta Salad, and I’ve learned that Baby V’s favorite way to eat them is as fast as she can, with one fritter in each fist and aioli all over her face. If your kids aren’t as “aioli adventurous” as Baby V, try serving these with ranch dressing.
Total time: 30 minutes | Active time: 20 minutes | Makes: About 16 fritters
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons warm water
4 medium zucchini, shredded
2 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (or thawed frozen corn)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 1/4 cups chickpea flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic, minced
Black pepper, to taste
Oil for frying (I use coconut oil)
1 cup vegan mayo
Juice of 1 lemon
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the flax “eggs” by stirring the ground flaxseed and warm water together in a small bowl. Let the mixture sit for at least 10 minutes before using.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a strainer set over a bowl or placed in the sink. Stir in a few dashes of salt. Let the zucchini sit for 10 minutes, while the salt draws out the moisture.
- After 10 minutes, use your hands to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini. Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl. Add the corn kernels, onion, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, pepper, and flax “eggs,” and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat. Wet your hands and roll about 1/4 cup of the fritter batter into a patty and place it in the pan. Add as many fritters to the pan as will fit, then fry for 4–5 minutes on each side, until browned. Place the cooked fritters on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat, adding more oil as necessary, until all the batter is used.
- While the fritters fry, prepare the Basil Aioli by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve the fritters warm, topped with the Basil Aioli.