Smashed Rosemary Potatoes with Sour Cream & Stewed Apples recipe by Ilene Godofsky Moreno in The Colorful Family Table
Total time: 55 minutes | Active time: 10 minutes | Makes: 4–6 servings
From Ilene: Regardless of whether you celebrate Hanukkah, potato pancakes are a December staple. These smashed potatoes are a fun, simplified twist on the potato pancake, complete with its classic toppings. Tangy sour cream and sweet stewed apples pair perfectly with the crispy outsides and steamy hot potato-y goodness inside.
2 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 potatoes)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Vegan sour cream
Easy Stewed Apples or store-bought applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and boil them for 20–25 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes), until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, then spread them out on the baking sheet. Use a fork to carefully smash each potato, making sure not to completely break it apart.
- Brush the potatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle the rosemary, salt, and pepper on top.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy. Serve warm, with sour cream and Easy Stewed Apples or applesauce.