Recipe by Toni Okamoto in Plant-Based on a Budget
From Toni: I consider this recipe one of my greatest hits. It’s inspired by a recipe I created for my first book, The Super Easy Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook. That one proved to be so popular, I created this stovetop version.
Yields 4 servings
1 (20-ounce) can young green jackfruit, drained
½ cup diced red, white, or yellow onion (about ½ medium onion)
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
½ tablespoon canola or vegetable oil (or 3 tablespoons water)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ tablespoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
½ cup water and
¼ vegetable bouillon cube, or ½ cup vegetable broth
8 corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
1 handful chopped cilantro
Squeeze of lime juice
Finely chopped onion
- Using your fingers, pull apart the jackfruit pieces into shreds and add them to a medium pan with a lid.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat and add the onion, garlic, and oil (or water). Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, liquid smoke, and water and bouillon cube (or broth) and mix well.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil. Cover the pan and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and divide into 8 equal portions, placing each into a corn tortilla. Serve with optional toppings or your favorite taco fixings.
Toni’s Tips: If you find that your Jackfruit Carnitas have too much liquid, turn the heat up for 1 to 2 minutes or until it’s absorbed.
Testers’ Tips: “Toasting the tortillas on the stovetop makes these 1,000 percent better.” —Lisa K. from New Orleans, LA