Excerpted from The China Study Cookbook: Revised and Expanded Edition by LeAnne Campbell, PhD
I first had this salad 30 years ago when I arrived in the Dominican Republic. It was known as the Christmas salad and was served with Dominican Rice and Beans. Since then we have made this colorful, bright pink salad often, and it’s our favorite salad to serve with Caribbean Moro.
Makes 6–8 servings
4 large potatoes
4 medium beets
1 large carrot
7 tablespoons Golden Garden Mayonnaise
1 red onion, diced
1/4 cup rice vinegar
Salt, to taste
Golden Garden Mayonnaise
6 ounces soft silken tofu
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Combine potatoes, beets, and carrot in a large saucepan and cover with water Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until soft. Drain, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Peel and dice the potatoes, beets, and carrot.
3. Add mayonnaise, onion, and vinegar. Mix until vegetables are covered.
4. Season with salt. If necessary, depending on your preference, add more vinegar and/or mayonnaise.
MAKE THE GOLDEN GARDEN MAYONNAISE
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Taste and add more salt and/or lemon juice if needed.
2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.