Excerpted from The China Study Cookbook: Revised and Expanded Edition by LeAnne Campbell, PhD
From LeAnne: We have been preparing this simple vegan eggplant parmesan dish for at least 25 years. You can serve the eggplant after removing it from the oven, but I like to go the extra step and bake it with our Favorite Marinara Sauce. I then serve it over pasta, with additional sauce if needed.
Makes 4 servings
½ cup whole grain pastry flour
½–¾ cup unsweetened nondairy milk (rice, soy, almond, etc.)
1–2 cups Italian bread crumbs
1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise ¼–½-inch thick
2 (28-ounce) jars marinara sauce or triple batch of Favorite Marinara Sauce
10 ounces spaghetti, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Place pastry flour in a shallow bowl, milk in a second shallow bowl, and bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Bread eggplant slices by first dipping each slice in the flour, then covering with milk, and then dredging in bread crumbs. You may need to add more flour, milk, or bread crumbs depending on the number of slices your eggplant yields.
- Place breaded eggplant on lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until brown, turning halfway through. Remove from oven, but keep oven on.
- Spread ½ cup marinara sauce over bottom of a 3-quart baking dish. Layer with eggplant slices. Add another layer of marinara sauce. Top with remaining eggplant slices and cover with marinara sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve on top of spaghetti and have extra marinara sauce on hand, if needed.