Crunchy Chickpea Tacos
Yields: 6 tacos | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 0 minutes
These tacos have some of the seasonings used in a typical California fish taco—although I must admit that I have never had a real fish taco, only the vegan versions. This recipe uses a hint of lime with cabbage and, of course, chickpeas.
6 corn or flour tortillas
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
3 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup seeded and small-diced poblano pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise (see below)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
1 tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Shape the tortillas by placing them in a nonstick oven-safe bowl and baking them in the oven until crispy, 5–10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork and sprinkle with the chili powder. Add the cabbage, carrot, red onion, poblano pepper, green onion, cilantro, mayonnaise, and lime juice. Mix thoroughly, adding salt last.
- Divide the salad mixture among the taco bowls and top with the sliced avocado. Add Sriracha if you like your tacos spicy.
- I use nonstick metal bowls to shape my taco bowls.
- These tortilla bowls are perfect for taco salads as well.
Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise
1/4 raw cashews, soaked in water to cover for 2-3 hours, then drained
7 ounces extra-firm tofu
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon tahini
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Soaking the cashews in water for a few hours will reduce blending time. If you are not using a Vitamix, I highly recommend soaking the cashews so they blend into a smooth and creamy texture.
- Place all the ingredients in a Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and shiny.
More from Kim and The PlantPure Nation Cookbook: Website | Facebook |Twitter | Instagram