Excerpted from The China Study Cookbook: Revised and Expanded Edition by LeAnne Campbell, PhD
A perfect complement to any meal, this crunchy salad is traditionally prepared with bacon and cheddar cheese. In place of these items, I’ve used walnuts and Golden Garden Mayonnaise. It’s a great salad to take to potlucks and holds up well the next day.
Makes 6 servings
4 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1–2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3/4 cup Golden Garden Mayonnaise
Salt, to taste
Golden Garden Mayonnaise
6 ounces soft silken tofu
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. In salad bowl, add broccoli, dried cranberries, red onion, and walnuts.
2. In separate bowl, mix 1 tablespoon sugar, rice vinegar, and mayonnaise. Taste and, if needed, add 1 additional tablespoon sugar.
3. Add dressing mixture to broccoli and toss to mix. Season with salt.
MAKE THE GOLDEN GARDEN MAYONNAISE
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Taste and add more salt and/or lemon juice if needed.
2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.