The best advice I can give you: please do not try to make this recipe with pumpkin puree. The first time I made this soup, I wanted to save myself the time of cutting and roasting a whole pumpkin by using the canned stuff, and it was a complete and utter failure. On the other hand, when I did take the time to carve and bake, the results were spectacular. The roasting brings out the pumpkin’s true flavor, and then by combining it with the curry spices, it becomes irresistible. And just like its fellow orange warriors—sweet potato, butternut squash, and carrot—pumpkin protects you from free radical invaders with its potent supply of beta-carotene and other antioxidants.
1 cup water
1 medium pumpkin (about 7 pounds)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup coconut aminos
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons coconut nectar
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 1/2 cups green tea or water
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Add the water to a 13 × 9-inch glass casserole dish.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and then cut it in half. Scrape out the seeds. Place the pumpkin halves, skin side down, in the prepared casserole dish. Bake until it is tender, about 60 minutes.
- Transfer the casserole dish from the oven to a wire rack, and let it sit for about 15 minutes before removing the pumpkin skin. Cut the pumpkin into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Heat the onion in a large pot over medium heat and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, smoked paprika, cumin, and curry powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin cubes, coconut nectar, and nutritional yeast, and stir to incorporate.
- Add the green tea and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot, and let simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a high-speed blender and puree until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Serve immediately.
SERVING SIZE: 2 CUPS Calories 105; Total Fat 1.5g; Protein 3.4g; Cholesterol 0.0g; Sodium 200mg; Fiber 4.4g; Sugars 6.9g; Total Carbohydrate 23.0